Advisory Group Seeks Public Input on Old Town North Small Area Plan Update
Months of hard work on the part of the City of Alexandria Department of Planning and Zoning, members of the Old Town North Small Area Plan Advisory Committee and the community at large bears fruit…
The Old Town North Small Area Plan Update Advisory Group will host a charrette from June 23 to 25 to develop a preliminary draft illustrative design and draft policy narratives for the plan update. A charrette is an intensive, focused set of workshops where residents, designers, property owners, developers, public officials, City staff, and other stakeholders work together to create a plan for the community’s future. The charrette will be held at 66 Canal Center Plaza (second floor), according to the schedule below.
The event will launch on Thursday, June 23, with a panel discussion on Place-Making Through Innovation Districts and Creative Uses, which will include participants from The Brookings Institution, Johns Hopkins University and other invited guests. On Friday and Saturday, June 24 and 25, workshops will focus on planning categories such as Infrastructure and Environmental Sustainability, Transportation, Economic Development and Historic Preservation. Ideas and designs generated from each day’s activity will be presented to the community on Friday and Saturday evening for review and discussion.
All members of the community are encouraged to attend and participate at any time during these three days. The general schedule is as follows:
Thursday, June 23
- 5 – 7 p.m.
- Open House and Overview of Mini-Charrette
- 7 – 9 p.m.
- Old Town North Panel Discussion: Place-Making Through Innovation Districts and Creative Uses (Panel members include Scott Andes, Senior Policy Analyst and Associate at The Brookings Institution; David McDonough, Assistant Director, Facilities and Real Estate Department, Johns Hopkins University; and other invited guests.)
Friday, June 24
- 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Workshops and Studios (Topics will focus on multiple planning categories. See website for more details.)
- 7 – 8:30 p.m.
- Community Meeting* (Designs and ideas generated from the day’s activity will be presented to the community for review and input.)
Saturday, June 25
- 8 a.m. – noon
- Open House (No workshops/studios)
- 1 – 3:30 p.m.
- Workshops and Studios (Topics will focus on potential draft zoning and regulatory tools and draft policies for planning categories.)
- 4:30 – 6 p.m.
- Community Meeting and Closing Reception* (Preliminary policies by planning category and a draft illustrative design will be presented for further community input.)
- 6 p.m.
- Montgomery Park Community Event Sponsored by Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities
- Mobile Art Lab presents Silent Disco
*Child care will be provided during these community meetings. Free parking is available after 6:30 p.m. on the parking plaza behind 801 N. Fairfax St.
For details about the charrette schedule, or background on the planning process please visit the Old Town North Small Area Plan Update website
City of Alexandria Concert Series (Free)
The City of Alexandria Summer Concert Series dates are below. All concerts are from 12:00-1:00 pm.
June 8th – Planet Full of Blues, Modern Electric Blues
June 22nd- The David Kitchen Band, American Roots/Rock
July 6th – Cletus Kennelly, Folk/Pop
July 20th – Dave Chappell, Roots Rock
August 3rd – Barbara Martin, Jazz
Old Town North Small Area Plan Advisory Group Meeting #8
Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 7:00–9:00PM
Crowne Plaza Hotel, 901 N. Fairfax Street.
- Free parking is available on the parking deck behind 801 N. Fairfax Street after 6:30 PM.
- The Meeting Agenda and the Draft Summary Notes from Advisory Group Meeting #7 (May 26th) can be accessed from these links and they are also online at www.alexandriava.gov/86032. The City and Advisory Group encourages and welcomes everyone’s participation in this meeting and at all meetings/events for this important planning process for the Old Town North community.
All OTN SAP Advisory Group meetings and events are open to the public. Also, the public can access materials and make comments online at the OTN SAP Update Webpage at www.alexandriava.gov/86032
Farmer’s Market This Week
- Great news! A new friend is joining us at the Farmer’s Market this week. My Brigadeiro will be offering fresh, homemade truffles. Our friends from Twin Springs are offering fresh lettuce, strawberries and tomatoes as part of their Fresh Taste on Sale. read reviews here For the gardeners in the neighborhood, Montoya Farms has fresh mint, tomatoes and herbs ready to plant. See you at the market.
Farmer’s Market – Thursdays 3-7pm
901 North Royal Street
The Montgomery Park
Rain or Shine, Year Round
Sponsored by the Old Town North Community Partnership with support from the City of Alexandria and Yogis for Positive Change
Help us keep Food Trucks off Madison Street!
The City has added 2 additional locations to the pending food truck initiative in North Old Town. These locations will be along Madison St (300 Block) and N. Fairfax St (900 Block).
The Madison Street Location will position food trucks directly in front of our restaurant.
While we support small business growth, this location is not good for our neighborhood. Parking is already limited along these streets and the the space allocated for food trucks will negatively impact residents and businesses.
Please consider how this may affect you and let your city council know!
We would like to encourage everyone to join us at city hall MONDAY APRIL 25TH to speak AGAINST these food truck locations. A parking impact hearing will be held at 7:30pm in the Council Chambers 301 King St. 2nd Floor.
- For more information about the Food Truck Initiative, or to download a Council Hearing Speaker’s Request, please visit:
- PDF of the site in Old Town North: www.alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/manager/info/WalkshedsForFood
Upcoming Small Area Plan meetings
April 2016 OTN SAP Advisory Group Meetings and Events Schedule
An eNews was released today – April 8, 2016 — with the April OTN SAP Advisory Group Meetings and Events Schedule. The format is rather scrambled due to an unforeseen technical problem so please find a pdf copy attached which is more readable. We apologize for any inconvenience this technical problem may have caused.
For the public, please note that there are two bus field trips scheduled in April to tour artist housing in the region. They are open to the public but the seating is limited. Therefore, if you are interested, you are requested to RSVP by a designated time to Planner Heba ElGawish within the Department of Planning and Zoning (Please see the attached April Schedule for her contact information).
Advisory Group Members who have not yet signed up for either tour can still do so also by contacting Heba. Please know that the Baltimore Field Trip may include an additional visit to Artists’ Housing Incorporated; we are still waiting to hear back from the manager but we can certainly drive by it if we are unable to arrange a tour this visit and still get back to Alexandria at the current designated time.
May 12th OTN SAP Update Community Meeting Location is Confirmed
Please be advised that the location of the Thursday, May 12th, 7-9:00PM OTN SAP Update Community Meeting is confirmed for Crowne Plaza Hotel, 901 N. Fairfax Street. You can view a list of all upcoming OTN SAP Advisory Group Meetings from April through June 2016 here.
All Advisory Group meetings, including Subcommittee meetings, are open to the public and time is allotted at each meeting for public comment.
The City, the 21-member citizens Old Town North Small Area Plan Advisory Group and the Old Town North community, began a planning process in fall 2015 to Update the 1992 Old Town North Small Area Plan. The process includes five phases, with Phase I, the Visioning Phase, completed in December 2015. Through that phase, concepts were developed for strengthening Old Town North over the next 15-20 years as a more walkable, balanced mixed use community with an array of amenities for residents, employees and visitors alike. Phases II and III of the planning process are now underway to study and test, respectively, the Phase I concepts.
For more information regarding the OTN SAP Update planning process, please contact Nancy J. Williams, Principal Planner, at email@example.com or 703.746.3858 or link to the OTN SAP Update webpage.
Edens Development Project and the Old Town North SAP
For all within the Old Town North Community things are moving forward with both the Edens Development Project and the Old Town North SAP. The final community meeting for the Edens Development Project was held Monday February 1st and final drawings were presented for community review. For those unable to attend please see the link to the presentation. [download]
The SAP committee will host three meetings on February 10th and 11th to discuss progress on the Old Town North SAP. All meetings are open to the public.
Alexandria’s celebration of George Washington’s Birthday is just around the corner… Come out and join the fun!
Edens Development Project
The Edens Group continues to work with the community and the City of Alexandria on the development of the Giant/ABC site. We have links to all of the information on our site and encourage folks to take a look.
- Draft Neighborhood Parks Improvement Plan Updates Park and Recreation Commission – Nov 19, 2015 [download]
- Presentation from last week meeting – Nov 23, 2015 [download]
- Preliminary Application [Part 1 | Part 2]
- Traffic Study [download]
Upcoming Projects Factsheet
- 530 First Street (GiantABC)
- 700 N. Washington
- 800 N. Washington Towne Motel
- 1101 N. Washington Old Colony
The city of Alexandria, local community groups and developers are working together on the planning stages. Please see the links to the Old Town North Small Area Plan, the proposed projects and the Montgomery Park Concept Plan:
Old Town North Small Area Plan
- Meeting Agenda (December 17, 2015)
- OTN SAP Meeting Minutes (Draft – November 9, 2015)
- OTN SAP Meeting Minutes (Draft – October 29, 2015)
Upcoming Events and Activities Sponsored by the Old Town North Community Partnership
- The Taste of Old Town North
Highlighting our local restaurants and small businesses
Spring of 2016
- Old Town North Farmer’s Market at Montgomery Park
Spring through Fall
- Doggie Happy Hour
Montgomery Park Dog Park
Spring through Fall
- Free Yoga in the Fresh Air in Montgomery Park
Sundays 4-5pm From the Summer Solstice to the Autumnal Equinox
A Fall celebration of all things Dog
All this and more…
For further information, or to volunteer, please contact us