OLD TOWN NORTH CANAL DISTRICT · MONTGOMERY PARK PARKING LOT
901 North Royal Street
Hours: Thursday, 4:00-8:00pm
Did you know... Locally owned retailers, such as farmers markets return more than three times as much of their sales to the local economy compared to chain competitors.
Welcome to the Thursday Old Town Community Market,
Alexandria’s Favorite Dog - Friendly Market.
August in Virginia!
Mother Nature continues to be fickle... Many thanks to our loyal fans for coming out last week during the heavy rains. We hope to be open for Thursday, August 22nd.
Weather policy. We are a rain or shine market but we will cancel if high winds, heavy rains or thunderstorms make conditions unsafe for our shoppers or our vendors. Cancellations due to weather will be announced on The Old Town Morth Farmer’s Market Facebook Page and on 571-218-2161.
- Chris of Harmony Hill Farms brings us farm fresh eggs and meats along with produce including sweet corn and heirloom tomatoes.
- Ana of Ana Twist of Ecuador will have her Signature Soups, Empanadas and award winning sorbets and ice cream. Many of Ana’s offerings are gluten free and vegan. I am especially fond of her “crazy green” sorbet.
- For a healthy snack or salad pick up some of Gordon’s Micro Greens.
- Miguel of Canna Homey has expanded his product and now includes teas and specialty creams.
Weather permitting we will offer Free Yoga in the Fresh Air in the Gazebo from 5:00-6:00pm followed by Music at the Market with Wynne Paris from 6:00-7:00pm.
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Help us help our neighbors in need... One in five Alexandria residents struggles to put food on the table. We will be accepting donations at the community table of healthy, non-perishable food for ALIVE throughout the season.
Not able to stop by Thursday? Don't despair... We will be holding a pop up market Saturday, August 24, 2019. 9:00am-1:00pm. Music with sweetYuca, fresh greens, pastry and more.
- Alexandria Restaurant Week - August 16-25, 2019
Many of Old Town North’s Restaurants have joined the fun. A complete list of participating restaurants can be found at www.visitalexandria.com
- Music at the Market - August 22, 2019 | 5:00-6:00pm with well known Kirtan Artist for Wynne Paris Co-founder of the Lovelight Music Festival.
- Join our friends at Ivy Hill Cemetery for the First of their Fall Events - September 21, 2019. Michael Jons Mind Reader and Psychic Entertainer...Not quite sure what may happen when we attempt to contact the spirit world but... They promise a spooky good time. Further details coming soon. Many thanks to the Ivy Hill Historical Preservation Society for their support of The Taste of Old Town North Music Jam! Ivy Hill Cemetery, 2823 King Street, 703-549-7413. info@IHCHPS.org
- Be Well...The Mid Atlantic Yoga Week- September 9th-16th: A Celebration of Mind, Body, and Spirit.
- A Taste of Old Town North - September 19, 2019 | 4:00-8:00pm. A Celebration of Old Town North, Past, Present and Future. Shop the Thursday Market, sample delicious food from local restaurants and listen to great music! Free Event!
Gordon Stolberg of Numero Moja
"What are those little green things?"
Our urban farmer Gordon brings us healthy Micro Greens, grown locally in the Hume Spring neighborhood of Alexandria. A relatively recent food source, Microgreens are a very nutritious food source loaded with food value producing a nutrition /weight ratio much larger than mature vegetables-especially vegetables that have been handled and shipped.
Microgreens are hydroponically grown in an organic medium (usually coconut coir). There is no soil, insecticides or fertilizers involved. The plants are grown under grow lights and sold as living plants. The plants may be set on a counter and the Microgreens harvested by pulling them out of the growth median. Folks are very fond of the spicy radish and the arugula!